Technology and Product Leadership
Dedicated user advocate and technologist with proven experience to combine technology, data, research, and design to shape engaging digital products.
Tech Manager, Web Technologies
Science Magazine (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
Washington, DC• Aug. 2015–Present
- Manage agile Scrum team responsible for user experience, information architecture, content strategy, API and web development
- Lead Scrum reviews, retrospectives, and planning, and agile activities such as story mapping
- Collaborate with stakeholders from news, research editorial, marketing, and advertising departments to align product roadmap with business outcomes
- Identify and manage third-party vendors to supplement internal teams on content, design, web, and infrastructure projects
- Coordinate user outreach and research to solicit feedback and drive future product and technology decisions
- Led full product life cycle for modernization and re-platforming of the organization’s flagship digital properties, including ScienceMag.org, increasing key * engagement metrics by 30% year-over-year
- Led strategy and development of advanced editorial features to improve storytelling tools and display of interactive content on Drupal, WordPress, and static sites
- Led all phases of product development, from research to release, for new search platform, covering nearly 140 years of publishing
- Front-end development to assist product team with overflow work
- User experience design, including research, wireframes, prototypes, and journey maps
Feb. 2013–Aug. 2015
- Led strategy, research, development, and design for a large-scale redesign and re-platforming project of the company's primary web properties
- Collaborated with stakeholders to understand business objectives and product ideas for redesign project
- Hands-on product team leadership, transforming assumptions and requirements into validated user stories and development tasks
- Using Pattern Lab and Atomic Design principles, established a living style guide/design system serving Science's journal and magazine properties.
- Led shift from waterfall to lean/agile processes
- Established user-first design culture for iterating consumer products and technology, relying on both data and user empathy to drive decisions
Instructor, Front-End Web Development
Feb. 2015–May 2015
User Experience Prototyper
Eight Shapes, LLC
Jan. 2013–Feb. 2013
Discovery, design, and development user experience prototypes for enterprise clients including Cisco Systems and Marriott.
Senior Front-End Developer
Oct. 2011–Dec. 2012
Front-end development in a performance-focused, agile startup. Worked within a cross-functional team to build web, mobile, and email products.
Dec. 2010–Oct. 2011
Front-end web development; iOS and Android application design.
Senior Production Specialist
Feb. 2008–Dec. 2010
Content production and management, web design and development for scientific audiences.
Jersey City, NJ
July 2007–Feb. 2008
Ensured seamless business operations in support of advertising, recruitment, and other sales departments. Supervised operations department staff, including designers and coordinators. Coordinated workflows between operations, editorial, and publishing departments.
Jersey City, NJ
June 2006–July 2007
Developed advertising products for sales staff, managed ad traffic, and designed web advertisements. Designed and developed sites for clients in support of web/print campaigns.
Jersey City, NJ
Dec. 2005–June 2006
Produced daily online news for New Jersey and New York newspapers, including Newark Star-Ledger, Jersey Journal and Staten Island Advance.
Sept. 2003–Dec. 2005
Daily news production for Pennsylvania newspapers, including the Harrisburg Patriot-News.
Penn State University, 2002
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, College of Communications Minor, German, College of Liberal Arts August 2002